Horticulture and landscape supervisors (team leaders) can be employed to oversee work in public parks and gardens, green spaces, gardens and estates or in production nurseries and retail outlets.
Our Horticulture Landscape Supervisor Apprenticeship is ideal if your employer plans to promote you up to a supervisory/team leader position; you would like to progress from a Level 2 horticulture operative apprenticeship; or if you are already in such a role and feel that you would like to acquire further knowledge, skills, and understanding to work at a supervisory level or above in the horticultural industry.
You will attend college one day per week combined with training, experience, and assessment in the workplace. At the end of the course, you will sit an end-point assessment which includes an observation of your practical skills, a showcase of your learner journal, employer appraisals, a supervisory studies project and a knowledge test. You will be required to bring your own equipment such as safety boots and gloves.
The apprenticeship includes Level 2 functional skills in English and Maths (where relevant) and the following certificates of competence: Emergency First Aid at Work and the Level 2 Award in the Safe Application of Pedestrian Hand-Held Equipment (PA6A).
You will learn
- More about the industry
- How to communicate effectively
- Customer care
- How to supervise others
- Health and safety for supervisors
- How to protect the environment
- How to monitor plant growth and development
- How to supervise the use of tools, equipment and machinery
- How to control vegetation
- Plant identification and classification for supervisors
- More about soils and growing media for supervisors
- Plant health and biosecurity
- How to protect biodiversity and heritage
- How to assess, repair and maintain hard structures
- Tree safety for supervisors
- How to supervise plant propagation
- How to care for ornamental aquatic environments
- How to maintain ornamental areas
- The use and maintenance of irrigation equipment
Apprenticeship Standard : Landscape or Horticulture Supervisor
• You must be aged at least 16 on entry
• Level 1 functional skills in Maths and English (we will provide this training as part of the apprenticeship if you need it)
• You will need to have completed a Level 2 horticulture qualification
PA1 pesticides theory qualification
You should be able to manage a site with minimum supervision, supervise a team and maintain the health and safety, and security of personnel and resources
You will need to be employed within the horticulture industry, working on average at least 30 hours per week under a contract of employment. You should be acting in a supervisory capacity or have the opportunity to do so while on the programme
Successful completion of this course will enable you to complete Level 4 and 5 qualifications, progress in to full time employment within the industry or you can confidently continue working at a supervisory capacity in the industry.
As an apprentice, you do not pay for your course. Your employer pays all or part of the fee. We collect the remainder through our government contract.