On this course you will build a sound knowledge and gain solid practical experience in gardening, landscaping and the urban environment. You can then go on to apply this foundation to real work situations in the UK and abroad.
This course is ideal for school leavers.
You will learn
- Construction and maintenance of boundaries in landscaping
- Care and maintenance of gardens in all seasons
- The use of garden and landscaping machinery and tools
- Cultivation and assessment of soil texture
- How to establish and maintain lawns
- Plant identification by botanical name
- How to identify damage caused by plant pests
- The planting of container grown plants – trees, shrubs, perennials
- Customer service in relation to requests and advice
- Plant propagation
- How to use hedge trimmers and mowersFirst aid with a strong emphasis on health and safety
Diploma in Practical Horticulture Skills – City & Guilds of London Institute
At least four GCSEs at grade 3 and above (D and above)
Successful completion of Introduction to Careers in the Environment (Level 1) or equivalent
Relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
Before you start your course, if you are aged between 16 and 18 years, you will be required to attend a fun and practical two-day preparation workshop where you will meet your tutors and other students on your course. Further details will be provided at the point of an offer being made.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to one of our Level 3 horticulture or garden design courses or a Horticulture Supervisor Apprenticeship. You will also be able to gain employment at assistant-level in the gardening and landscaping industry, opportunities include: working overseas, landscaping, turf management, parks and gardens, community gardens, garden retail, or you could start your own business.