Unless stated otherwise, students aged 16-18 are exempt from tuition and registration fees.
Download a full-time or part-time application form.
If you have any questions about our courses, please contact our Admissions team.Enquire about this course
The RHS Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture is a physically strenuous vocational course suitable for those who wish to gain practical experience in a wide range of horticultural techniques which are required to develop a career in professional gardening. Keen amateurs are welcome.
This is a part-time practical course running 9.00 to 16.00 one day per week for 17 weeks. The qualification can provide a route to employment in professional horticulture by developing the practical skills which underpin the professional gardening. Students should allow a minimum of 4 hours per week for private study at home.
• pH testing
• Soil texture testing
Sowing seed and vegetative propagation techniques
• Sow seeds in containers
• Propagate by stem leaf and root cuttings and division
• Care of propagated plants
Practical skills in ground preparation for seeding and planting
• Select use and maintain equipment
• Primary and secondary soil cultivation
Practical skills in establishing seeds and plants in soil
• Select use and maintain equipment
• Plant trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants
• Sow seed outside
• Care of plants during establishment
Care and pruning of plants
• Pot up and pot on plants, and care of plants in containers
• Formative pruning and maintenance pruning of shrubs and hedges
Identification of plants, pests, diseases, disorders and beneficial organisms
• Identify garden plants and weeds
• Identify seeds
• Identify pests, diseases and disorders
• Identify beneficial organisms
Safe operation of powered garden machinery (no other optional units offered on this course)
• Prepare a range of garden machines for use
• Operate a range of garden machines safely and effectively
• Clean and store a range of garden machines
Success on this course leads to the nationally recognised RHS Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture which forms one third of the RHS Level 2 Diploma in the Principles and Practice of Horticulture.
The RHS Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture is assessed throughout the course by the course tutor and includes practical assessments, written assessments and highly intensive plant identification sessions. Students are required to learn and identify by full scientific name a minimum of 10 plants every week.
Entry Requirements Entry requirements are:
• a minimum GCSE level attainment including English at grade C or higher
This course involves, moderate to strenuous physical work and includes use of powered machinery, soil cultivation and planting, use of fertilisers, manures and sharp tools. All students should ensure they are capable of undertaking these activities and are also vaccinated against tetanus
Students must provide their own steel toe-cap safety footwear, secateurs and gardening gloves and have suitable clothing to work outside in all weather. A payment of £30 will be payable at enrolment to contribute to the cost of learning materials.
Regent’s Park (Wednesday or Friday day class Sept 2019 start or Monday or
Thursday or Friday day class February 2020 start). Enfield (Tuesday day class
Sept 2019 start or Tuesday or Thursday day class Feb 2020 start)
Gunnersbury Park (day class Sept 2019 start or day class Feb 2020 start –
days to be confirmed)
Fees – Please contact Student Admissions
Last updated: 03-04-2019