This course will give you an introduction into the gardening industry, providing you with horticultural knowledge and the opportunity to gain practical gardening skills. This will enable you to boost your confidence when considering employment, further study or voluntary work.
You will learn
- How to establish and maintain gardens and borders
- How to establish and maintain trees, shrubs and flowers
- The care and maintenance of gardens in all seasons
- The sowing of vegetables and flowers from seed
- The use of a range of tools, equipment and machinery
- Health and safety practices
- Plant identification
- How to carry out practical work in the College and other gardens
There are no formal entry requirements for The Maintenance Gardener (Level 1) course. You do not need previous experience, just a willingness to learn. You may be asked to attend an interview to explore your interests, experience and ambitions.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to our courses at the next level: The Professional Gardener (Level 2), The Hard Landscaping Gardener (Level 2) or The Fruit and Vegetable Gardener (Level 2). You will also be prepared for voluntary work in gardens, parks, charities and community gardens, or you can gain entry-level employment in the gardening and landscaping industry.