This course will give you the knowledge, skills and foundation required to work in the horticulture industry. If you already work in the industry it will consolidate your skills.
You will also gain an insight into starting or running a business in horticulture.
You will learn
- The planting of container grown trees, shrubs and perennials
- Identification of plants by botanical name
- Cultivation and assessment of soil texture and condition
- Identification of damage caused by pests and diseases
- The care and maintenance of gardens in all seasons
- How to produce a basic garden design and planting plan
- How to maintain lawns all year round
- Propagation techniques
- The use of a range of tools, machinery and equipment
- How to deal with customers – providing advice and quotes
- Two GCSEs at grade 5 and above (A* to C)
- Successful completion of Introduction to Careers in the Environment (Level 1) or equivalent
- Relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to our Advanced Technical Certificate or Diploma in Horticulture (Level 3), or an RHS Level 2 Certificate or Diploma. Alternatively, you can enter employment in the landscaping and gardening industry, or voluntary work in gardens, parks, charities and community gardens.