This course has been written in partnership with employers from the landscape industry who are looking for highly skilled employees with a good range of technical up-to-date landscaping skills as well as the ability to think about the commercial factors of a business.
The course will also suit a person who is running their own successful grounds maintenance business and is now looking to develop and grow their business offering to customers of landscaping features. The programme is supported by the British Association of Landscape Industries (BALI).
For students already working in the industry you will be able to count this as industry experience and will be asked to complete one week with a different employer to enrich your learning experience.
You will be assessed through both written and practical projects.
You will learn
- The construction of paved surfaces
- The use of brick work in the landscape
- How to construct landscape timber features
- Surveying and scale drawings
- How to use landscape construction machinery
- How to select landscape construction materials
- Business practice and project management
- How to carry out water management, SUDS, drainage and groundwork
- More about turf – natural and artificial
- How to use plants in landscaping
- The design and construction of living walls
- How to construct garden water features
- The building of show gardens
- Health and safety
You will need at least one of the following:
- At least five GCSEs at grade 4 and above (C and above) including English, Maths and a Science related subject
- Demonstrable landscaping skills
- Candidates aged 19+ who do not have the above qualifications may apply if they have other comparable qualifications or experience
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to a related foundation degree, to gain employment in team leadership roles in the landscape industry, or you can set up your own business.