This introductory hands-on course will provide you with the skills, knowledge, and experience to progress onto our Level 2 courses or to introduce you to a practical role in the animal care industry.
Over the course of the year, you will study a range of interesting topics including assisting with handling and restraint of animals, assisting with the set-up of animal accommodation and, assisting with the feeding and watering of a range of animals.
You will learn
- How to look after animals through practical experience
- The correct ways to work with and handle animals safely
- Animal health and learn how to spot signs of ill health
- The conservation of wild animals
- You will also complete a work experience placement
You will need the following:
• At least two GCSEs at grade 2 and above (E and above)
• Maths and English GCSE or Functional Skills at grade E3 or above
Before you start your course, if you are aged between 16 and 18 years, you will be required to attend a fun and practical two-day preparation workshop where you will meet your tutors and other students on your course. Further details will be provided at the point of an offer being made.
A typical week
Our Level 1 course is a full-time study programme. You will attend lessons for three days per week plus English and maths lessons, with the rest of your time being spent on independent study. The average college day runs from 9am to 4pm and consists of a mixture of practical, theory as well as individual tutorial time with your Course Manager.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to an Animal Care Diploma (Level 2), Agriculture Diploma (Level 2), or our Dog Grooming Assistant Certificate (Level 2).
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to enter the industry in the following roles:
• Farm hand
• Kennel/cattery assistant
• Pet store assistant