This new course is an exciting route into a career as a zoo or animal keeper.
The apprenticeship has been developed by industry experts and is led by The Zoological Society Of London (ZSL) – London and Whipsnade Zoo, to be delivered in partnership with Capel Manor College. You will be employed in zoos, wildlife parks, aquariums, private animal collections, animal reserves, and farms with a zoo licence.
You will learn about and understand the importance of adhering to industry best practice, law protocols and procedures in relation to animal husbandry, welfare, transportation and work health and safety. You will also be responsible for the everyday care and husbandry of the animals within the collection.
You will learn
- Diet sheets and how to interpret, prepare and deliver animal feeds
- How to service, clean and manage animal environments
- The provision of species specific habitats and routines for animals in line with their natural history
- Animal behaviour, animal health and welfare, and recording and reporting findings
- Enclosure checks and other work areas for potential or existing hazards
- Visitor and stakeholder engagement
- You must be in full-time employment in a zookeeping role
- Apprentices are expected to have some prior basic knowledge and experience of the sector
Successful completion of this apprenticeship will help you to progress into more senior animal keeping roles.