Starts: 25 September 2017
Ends: 24 June 2019
Duration: Full-time over 2 years
Available at: Enfield
Fees: 2017 applicants £6,000 per year.
This Foundation Degree focuses on particular strengths of both partners and the special locations of both institutions and aims to create or develop animal management professionals with a broad understanding of holistic approaches to the management of a diverse animal collection using modern, naturalistic enclosures in accordance with best practice.
Students will acquire advanced practical animal management skills whilst furthering business and enterprise skills needed to manage animal and zoological collections including enriching the welfare of animals in captivity, designing enclosures and educating the public with regards to conservation and issues associated with captivity. Additionally students will be debating the ethical stance of the use of animals globally, conduct breeding programme and understand how to conduct animal encounters that reach beyond the boundaries of the collection.
Students will travel internationally in their 2nd year and work on an animal conservation project. Numerous trips are organised for students to further understand how the theory taught is implemented in the animal industry allowing students to get behind the scenes access at zoos, organised educational talks by professionals in the animal industry ranging from exotic vets, to herpetologists and many more.
Students also have the opportunity to go on placements within the animal industry in accordance to their interest (i.e. zoological collections, rehabilitation centres etc.) both nationally and internationally.
Upon successful completion of this course, students have the opportunity to progress onto an appropriate Top Up degree course or start immediate employment within the animal industry.
Completing this Foundation Degree gives all students the tools to become an animal manager of a collection of animals, work within rehabilitation/conservation, zoological collections or even start their own animal business.
This course is taught at our Capel Manor College, Enfield Centre.
Year 1 (Level 4 Modules):
1 – Animal Husbandry, Health and Nutrition
2 – Industry Experience
3 – Animal Disease and Immunology
4 – Ethology and Training
5 – Comparative Anatomy and Physiology
6 – Animal Collection Design
7 – Avian Science
8 – Herpetological Management
9 – Professional Business Practice
Year 2 (Level 5 Modules):
1 – Research Project
2 – Conservation Biology
3 – Collections Management
4 – Animal Nutrition
5 – Advanced Industry Experience
6 – Management of Reproduction and Breeding
7 – Animal Welfare and Ethics
8 – Veterinary Skills
Applicants should confirm their ability to study on a Foundation Degree by presenting evidence of:
- A minimum of 3 GCSEs to include English & Maths at grade C or above, (or equivalent level 2 qualifications) and 48 UCAS tariff points from Level 3 qualifications (see below):
The following level 3 qualifications (and combinations) will be considered for entry:
- 2 A-level subjects or equivalent combinations (this is either two A levels both grade Ds, or one A level at grade D plus two AS levels at grade d)
- BTEC Level 3 qualifications (e.g. PPP, MP, M-P)
- City & Guilds Land Based level 3 qualifications ( e.g. Pass at Extended Diploma / M at Diploma / Merit at 90-credit Diploma)
- Irish Highers (e.g. CCD)
- Scottish Advanced Highers and Highers (e.g. CCD)
- Access to Higher Education Diploma (45 credits at Level 3) in Animal Management or other subjects.
- Successful completion of Advanced Apprenticeships, Technical Level Qualification and Technical Baccalaureate (TechBacc) qualifications can also be considered depending on the relevant work experience.
- Applicants where English is not the first language will require IELTS overall grade 6.0 (with no element below 5.5).
- Substantial relevant experience (considered individually where UCAS tariff is not met).
Applicants may apply for exemption from specified units on the programme through APL / APEL for no more than 40% of the total credits for the programme.
What next after your course?
Successful completion of our Animal Management and Zoology Foundation Degree will:
- enable you to top-up your BSc at another institution
- lead to a career in a range of animal management and science careers.
Apply online via the UCAS website here