Starts: September (subject to validation)
Duration: full-time over 2 years
Available at: Enfield
Starts: 29 September 2016
Fees: 2016 applicants £6,000 per year.
Our Foundation Degree in Animal Management and Zoological Studies has been created in partnership with the Royal Agricultural University (RAU) and involves extended study of animal science, behaviour, welfare and the holistic care of animals, particularly for zoological collections.
You will gain advanced practical animal management skills whilst developing the business and enterprise skills you need to manage animal and zoological collections and enrich the customer experience, education, environmental interpretation and animal encounters that reach beyond the boundaries of the collection.
You will be based at our Enfield centre in our new multi-million purpose built animal management centre with one module in both years supported and delivered by field study at the RAU.
Year 1 (Level 4 Modules):
1 – Animal Husbandry, Health and Nutrition
2 – Industry Experience
3 – Animal Disease and Immunology
4 – Ethology and Training
5 – Comparative Anatomy and Physiology
6 – Animal Collection Design
7 – Avian Science
8 – Herpetological Management
9 – Professional Business Practice
Year 2 (Level 5 Modules):
1 – Research Project
2 – Conservation Biology
3 – Collections Management
4 – Animal Nutrition
5 – Advanced Industry Experience
6 – Management of Reproduction and Breeding
7 – Animal Welfare and Ethics
8 – Veterinary Skills
Applicants should confirm their ability to study on a Foundation Degree by presenting evidence of:
- A minimum of 3 GCSEs to include English & Maths at grade C or above, (or equivalent level 2 qualifications) and 48 UCAS tariff points from Level 3 qualifications (see below):
The following level 3 qualifications (and combinations) will be considered for entry:
- 2 A-level subjects or equivalent combinations (this is either two A levels both grade Ds, or one A level at grade D plus two AS levels at grade d)
- BTEC Level 3 qualifications (e.g. PPP, MP, M-P)
- City & Guilds Land Based level 3 qualifications ( e.g. Pass at Extended Diploma / M at Diploma / Merit at 90-credit Diploma)
- Irish Highers (e.g. CCD)
- Scottish Advanced Highers and Highers (e.g. CCD)
- Access to Higher Education Diploma (45 credits at Level 3) in Animal Management or other subjects.
- Successful completion of Advanced Apprenticeships, Technical Level Qualification and Technical Baccalaureate (TechBacc) qualifications can also be considered depending on the relevant work experience.
- Applicants where English is not the first language will require IELTS overall grade 6.0 (with no element below 5.5).
- Substantial relevant experience (considered individually where UCAS tariff is not met).
Applicants may apply for exemption from specified units on the programme through APL / APEL for no more than 40% of the total credits for the programme.
What next after your course?
Successful completion of our Animal Management and Zoology Foundation Degree will:
- enable you to top-up your BSc at another institution
- lead to a career in a range of animal management and science careers.
Apply online via the UCAS website here