Our Foundation Degree in Animal Management and Zoology has been created in partnership with the Royal Agricultural University (RAU).
You will develop an understanding of holistic approaches to the management of diverse animal collections, gaining the ability to apply your knowledge to many areas of animal management including zoology, wildlife conservation and farm management.
You will have the opportunity to acquire advanced practical and business skills by working in our zoo and farm. This will include enriching the welfare of animals in captivity, designing enclosures, and educating the public about conservation.
As part of your studies, you will be actively encouraged to participate in work placements (both nationally and internationally) within the animal industry, enabling you to see behind the scenes of different zoos and animal collections. Numerous trips are organised for students to further understand how the theory taught is applied in the real world. You will also have the opportunity to take part in our annual conservation trip; previous students have worked on projects in South Africa and Peru.
You will learn
- Animal husbandry, health and nutrition
- Industry experience/placement
- Animal disease and immunology
- Ethology and training
- Comparative anatomy and physiology
- Animal collection design
- Avian science
- Herpetological management
- Professional business practice
- Research project
- Conservation biology
- Collections management
- Animal nutrition
- Advanced industry experience
- Management of reproduction and breeding
- Animal welfare and ethics
- Veterinary skills
- Opportunity to travel internationally and work on an animal conservation project
Applicants should confirm their ability to study on a foundation degree by presenting evidence of:
- 64 UCAS tariff points from Level 3 qualifications
- A minimum of three GCSE subjects at grade 4 (A* to C) including English and Maths (or equivalent Level 2 qualification)
Successful completion of this foundation degree will enable you to become an animal manager of a collection of animals, work within rehabilitation, conservation, and zoological collections. Additionally, you can apply for our BSc (Hons) Animal Management and Applied Zoology Top-Up (subject to entry requirements).