This course is designed to provide you with strong industry foundations and the knowledge, skills and confidence required for a responsible management position in agriculture.
The course comprises of one or two years of full-time study, depending on which programme you follow. The one year course is the equivalent to gaining two A levels, and the two year course is the equivalent to gaining three A levels.
Industry placements form part of all Level 3 vocational full-time courses at Capel Manor College. Each industry placement is at least 315 hours long, providing you with invaluable industry experience as part of your studies. You will be invited to make contact with employers, relevant to your studies, who could host your placement.
You will learn
- Professional working responsibilities
- Plant and soil science
- Machinery operations
- Estate skills
- Crop production
- Livestock production
- Contemporary issues in the land-based sector
- How to make business improvements
- How to monitor livestock health and disease treatment
- How to manage livestock nutrition
- Root, crop and field vegetable production
- At least four GCSEs at grade 4 and above (A* to C) including a science-related subject
- An overall Distinction in a Level 2 agriculture course or equivalent
- Relevant prior learning or experience gained in a professional environment will be considered
- Independent study skills are needed to be successful at this level
Before you start your course, if you are aged between 16 and 18 years, you will be required to attend a fun and practical two-day preparation workshop where you will meet your tutors and other students on your course. Further details will be provided at the point of an offer being made.
National Skills Fund
This course is eligible for the National Skills Fund. Any adult aged 19 and over, who does not already have a level 3 qualification (equivalent to an advanced technical certificate or diploma, or A levels) or higher, can access hundreds of fully-funded level 3 courses.
To find out more visit: https://www.capel.ac.uk/fees-and-funding/
This course will prepare you for employment in roles such as stockperson, herdsperson, machinery operator or trials officer. Completion of the two year programme will allow you to progress to a range of higher education courses in agriculture or agricultural sciences.