Duration: 2 years full-time
Available at: Enfield
This course will introduce you to the saddlery industry and cover traditional and modern saddlery production methods. Completion of both our Level 2 and Level 3 Diplomas in Saddle, Harness and Bridle Making will give you a prestigious Worshipful Company of Cordwainers’ Diploma in Saddle, Harness and Bridle Making.
In your first year you will learn the basic skills and techniques required for saddlery, including bridle making, saddle making, harness making and lorinery. In the second year you will work on a variety of more advanced projects, building on skills learnt, create saddlery accessories and find out how the saddlery industry works.
The course is suitable for beginners as well as learners wishing to develop their skills.
The first year covers:
- saddle, bridle and harness making for the equestrian industry
- machining – sewing.
The second year covers:
- saddle, bridle and harness production for the equestrian industry
- saddlery accessories
- saddlery business establishment and marketing.
Candidates will be required to complete all of the following:
- assessment of written portfolio work for each unit
- assessment of specified pre-made saddlery items
- observational and oral assessment during manufacture of saddlery items.
You will need at least one of the following:
- at least four GCSEs at grade 4 and above (A* to C)
- overall Distinction in a Diploma (Level 2) or equivalent
- an interest in craft, fashion or creative skills
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in a professional equine or saddlery related environment will be considered.
Many students will undertake further saddlery qualifications, often as a part of The Saddlery Millennium Apprenticeship Scheme, working towards eventual recognition as a Master Saddler by the Society of Master Saddlers. Others set up in business, selling, making and repairing saddles, bridles, harnesses and associated leather goods. If you want to move into fashion or leatherwear you could start our Shoemaking Advanced Diploma (Level 3).
For further information about this course, please contact the course manager Line Hansen