You will gain the practical skills and knowledge that are important for working as a professional dog groomer.
Independent study skills are needed to be successful at this level. You will undertake a 15 day work placement in the dog grooming industry, and there is the expectation that you will also attend an industry placement in a grooming parlour, one day per week throughout your course.
You will learn
- Health and safety, legislation and codes of practice for the dog grooming industry
- Canine first aid
- Canine anatomy and physiology
- Styling and finishing techniques
- Planning, styling and trimming
- Trimming methods for different coat types
- Health checks, handling and restraining dogs
- Canine behaviour
- Customer liaison and record keeping
- A Distinction grade on the Dog Grooming Assistant Certificate (Level 2)
- FS Level 2/GCSE grade 4 in Maths and English, or evidence of working at this level
Before you start your course, if you are aged between 16 and 18 years, you will be required to attend a fun and practical two-day preparation workshop where you will meet your tutors and other students on your course. Further details will be provided at the point of an offer being made.
On successful completion of this course you will be classified as a fully-qualified dog groomer, and you can start your own business or work for a business/franchise in a salon or a mobile unit. You could also progress to further learning and training in this area to develop your skills.