This course will provide you with the knowledge, skills and confidence required for a responsible management position in environmental conservation.
You will study seven topics from the course topic list and you will need to complete a synoptic exam, two external exam papers along with four projects.
Industry placements form part of all Level 3 vocational full-time courses at Capel Manor College. Each industry placement is at least 315 hours long, providing you with invaluable industry experience as part of your studies. You will be invited to make contact with employers, relevant to your studies, who could host your placement.
You will learn
- Professional working responsibilities
- Plant and soil science
- The contemporary issues that arise in the land-based sectors
- Countryside estates skills
- How to manage environmental habitats
- Woodland management
- Wildlife ecology and conservation
- Machinery operations
- Countryside recreation
- Coastal habitats management
- Freshwater and wetland management
- Physical and biological environmental procedures
- Ecological concepts
- How to manage countryside visitor activities
- At least four GCSEs at grade 4 and above (A* to C) including a science-related subject
- An overall Distinction in a relevant Level 2 Diploma or equivalent
- Relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- Previous experience of conservation work is an advantage
- Independent study skills are needed to be successful at this level
Before you start your course, if you are aged between 16 and 18 years, you will be required to attend a fun and practical two-day preparation workshop where you will meet your tutors and other students on your course. Further details will be provided at the point of an offer being made.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to higher education, undertake one of our professional training courses or obtain employment in the industry in a broad range of jobs, including: ranger, community liaison, junior ecologist, reserve manager, environmental advisor, estate manager or environmental politics.