This course will introduce you to the saddlery industry and cover traditional and modern saddlery production methods. Completion of both our Level 2 and Level 3 Diplomas in Saddle, Harness and Bridle Making will give you a prestigious Worshipful Company of Cordwainers’ Diploma in Saddle, Harness and Bridle Making.
In your first year you will learn the basic skills and techniques required for saddlery, including bridle making, saddle making, harness making and lorinery. In the second year you will work on a variety of more advanced projects, building on skills learnt, create saddlery accessories and find out how the saddlery industry works.
This course is suitable for beginners as well as learners wishing to develop their skills. You will be asked to complete a written portfolio of work for each unit, as well as being assessed for specified pre-made saddlery items, and you will undertake an observational and oral assessment during the manufacture of saddlery items.
You will learn
- Saddle, bridle and harness making for the equestrian industry
- The trade of lorinery
- Machining and sewing techniques
- Saddle, bridle and harness production for the equestrian industry (second year)
- How to make saddlery accessories (second year)
- How to run a saddlery business establishment and market your own business (second year)
You will need at least one of the following:
- At least four GCSEs at grade 4 and above (A* to C)
- Overall Distinction in a Diploma (Level 2) or equivalent
- An interest in craft, fashion or creative skills
- Relevant prior learning or experience gained in a professional equine or saddlery related environment will be considered
You can undertake further saddlery qualifications, often as part of The Saddlery Millennium Apprenticeship Scheme, working towards eventual recognition as a Master Saddler by The Society of Master Saddlers. You will also have the knowledge to start your own business in selling, making and repairing saddles, bridles, harnesses and associated leather goods. If you want to move into fashion or leatherwear you could start our Cordwainers’ Diploma in Shoemaking.