Building Futures Through Land-Based Apprenticeships

Apprenticeships have changed significantly over the past few years. They are now considered a viable alternative to university degrees and more recently, they are available to, and flexible for, young people, adults and employers with many opportunities available. If you are looking for your next step after school or considering a career change, then an apprenticeship in the land-based industry is a great route to follow.

What is an apprenticeship and how does it work?

As an apprentice, you are employed to do a real job whilst studying for a qualification, which means you will earn a salary while you learn and gain practical experience in the industry you wish to start a career in. 

An apprenticeship must last a minimum of 12 months. Our apprenticeships in animal care, horticulture or arboriculture and forestry typically take between 18 and 24 months to complete. 

At least 20% of your time will be set aside for learning which usually takes place at college. You will spend the remaining 80% applying the knowledge and skills you have learned in a workplace setting. During this time you will be paid just like an employee and you will also be entitled to holiday pay and other employee rights. There is not a standard rate that apprentices receive and it varies depending on the employer. However, it will not be below the national apprenticeship wage. More information can be found on the Government website.

At the end of your apprenticeship, you will gain an official certificate which is the equivalent to a traditional qualification. 

Are there different levels of apprenticeships?

There are different levels of apprenticeships and they are as follows:

  • Intermediate (Level 2) – equivalent to GCSEs
  • Advanced (Level 3) – equivalent to A Levels
  • Higher (Levels 4, 5, 6 and 7) – equivalent to a foundation degree and above
  • Degree (Levels 6 and 7) – equivalent to a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree

What are the benefits of an apprenticeship?

Apprenticeships have many benefits that will reward you later on. Not only are you earning while you learn, but you will also gain recognised qualifications, independence, ongoing and personalised support, and most importantly, you will enhance your employability skills.

Companies will be able to see that you have successfully been able to apply yourself to the demands of a full-time job whilst studying at the same time. Additionally, you will have been trained to industry standards, meaning your skills and knowledge will be up-to-date before you go into the industry full-time after your studies.

What are the entry requirements?

To start an apprenticeship you will need to be:

  • 16 years of age or over (you can apply while still in school but you will need to be 16 or over by the end of the school summer holidays to start the apprenticeship)
  • Live in England
  • Not in full-time education

Is there an age limit?

It is a common misunderstanding that only young people who have just left school can apply for apprenticeships. The reality is anyone aged 16 or over and no longer in full-time education can apply for an apprenticeship. Adults who are looking to change careers but require training and relevant qualifications can benefit from an apprenticeship as they can help improve the quality and range of opportunities available.

Start an apprenticeship at Capel Manor College

If you are looking to start work, earn money and gain a nationally-recognised qualification in the land-based industry, regardless of your age, a Capel Manor College apprenticeship will provide you with the essential hands-on training that you need. 

Browse our apprenticeships in London and across England and apply online today. Or contact us via our enquiry form to receive further information about apprenticeships near you.