This qualification is designed for those working in arboriculture and required to work at heights.
You will gain the knowledge and skill required for a City & Guilds (NPTC) independent assessment.
You will be taught in both a workshop and woodland environment. The course lasts for two consecutive days and is followed by a one-day independent NPTC assessment. Courses can run at one of our other campuses when in demand. Please contact us to discuss arrangements.
All prices include hire of equipment (£35 for external candidates/£10 for Capel Manor College students). All chainsaw assessments require a £50 deposit for a Capel Manor College student or £350 for a non-student.
You will learn
- Legislation and safety guidelines pertaining to the use of a chainsaw from a rope and harness
- Safety considerations to be observed when organising a site
- Pre-start chainsaw checks
- How to haul chainsaws into the tree and attach them to the harness
- Secure working positions
- Use of various step and sink cuts along with final pruning cuts
- Safe and efficient practices when removing light and medium weight branches
- Understanding of the duties and responsibilities of a competent grounds person
Award in Cutting of Trees with a Chainsaw Using Free-fall Techniques – City and Guilds
You must bring your own personal protective equipment (PPE)
Level 2 Award in Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross-Cutting
Level 2 Award in Felling and Processing Trees (up to 380mm)
Level 2 Award in Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue
Please view the related courses we have available and contact us if you would like to request an industry training course that is not currently listed.
Government funding is not available for this course; you will need to pay for your tuition, exams and materials. The fee shown for each campus and course start date is the total fee that you will need to pay.
For some of our courses, we offer a discount for current students. If this is the case, you will see the reduced fee when you select your chosen course campus and start date. To qualify for this discount, you must already be studying another course at Capel Manor College, and be adding this course to your existing programme.