Duration: 1 day (Saturday) per week from 9am till 3.30pm for 8 weeks
Available at: Enfield
Course fee: FREE
*Resource fee: £30
The RHS Level 1 Introductory Award in Practical Horticulture is a basic practical course suitable for those who wish to gain hands-on experience in basic gardening techniques. Keen amateurs, career changers and new professional gardeners are all welcome.
This is a part-time course running one day per week for 8 weeks. The course can be a starting point to a route to employment in professional horticulture by developing the practical skills which underpin professional gardening.
- Preparing soil for sowing and planting
– selection, use and care of tools and equipment
– soil cultivation methods
– prepare seed and planting beds
– disposal of waste
- Assist with the propagation of plants from seed
– use and maintain equipment
– seed sowing methods
– aftercare of germinated seedlings
- Assist with vegetative propagation of plants
– use, maintenance and care of propagation equipment
– preparation of rooting media
– carry out a range of cuttings and their aftercare
- Assist with planting and establishing of plants
– selection, use and care of tools,
– use of equipment and materials
– carry out planting and aftercare of a range of plant types
Success on this course leads to the nationally recognised RHS Level 1 Introductory Award in Practical Horticulture.
The RHS Level 1 Introductory Award in Practical Horticulture is assessed throughout the course by the course tutor and includes practical assessments, some short written assessments. Successful completion of all assessments will lead to attainment of the award.
This course involves moderate to vigorous physical work each session and includes the use of equipment and materials for soil cultivation, planting and propagation including fertilisers, manures and sharp tools. All students should ensure they are physically capable of undertaking these activities and also ensure they are vaccinated for tetanus
Students must provide their own steel toe-cap safety footwear, secateurs and gardening gloves and have suitable clothing and be prepared to work outside in all weather. A payment of £30 will be payable on enrolment to contribute to the cost of learning materials.
The basic practical skills which are developed on this course can act as the
foundation for further study and skills development at Level 2 including the
RHS Level 2 Certificate in Plant Growth, Propagation and Development
RHS Level 2 Certificate in Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance
RHS Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture
City and Guilds Level 1 Maintenance Gardener
City and Guilds Level 2 The Professional Gardener