Unless stated otherwise, students aged 16-18 are exempt from tuition and registration fees.
Download a full-time or part-time application form.
If you have any questions about our courses, please contact our Admissions team.Enquire about this course
Duration: 1 year full time
Available at: Enfield and Crystal Palace Park
On this course you will develop the skills required to work in the gardening and landscaping industry, as well as building a foundation of specialist horticultural knowledge to take forward into further education and training for progression.
- plant naming, identification, selection and science
- establishment and maintenance of plants outdoors
- propagation techniques
- hard landscaping tasks
- design of garden areas
- care, maintenance and use of tools and machinery
- horticulture business skills
- health and safety for the land-based industries
- 150 hours of work experience with an industry employer.
You will be assessed through a range of practical and written projects as well as examinations. To achieve the overall award you must successfully pass all assessed components.
You will need at least one of the following:
- at least one GCSE at grade 4 and above (C and above) in English or Maths and at least three other GCSEs at grade 3 and above (D and above) including English/ Maths and a Science related subject
- an overall Distinction in an Introduction to Gardening and Landscaping (Level 1) or equivalent
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
Successful completion of this course will:
- enable you to progress to our Horticulture Advanced Technical Diplomas (Level 3), a Horticulture Operative Apprenticeship, a Horticulture Supervisor Apprenticeship, a Sports Turf Operative Apprenticeship or one of our Level 3 garden design courses
- help you gain employment as a trainee/ assistant in the horticulture industry – in landscaping, turf management, parks and gardens, community gardens, garden retail, or you could consider starting up your own business.
You will be asked to attend an interview to explore your interests, experience and ambitions so that we can help you study. References are also considered.
Last updated: 17 Sept 2019