(SUBJECT TO APPROVAL BY THE INSTITUTE FOR APPRENTICESHIPS)
Duration: 18 months for completers of the Horticulture Operative Apprenticeship, 36 months otherwise
Available at: Campus to be confirmed
Attendance: College one day a week combined with training, experience and assessment in the workplace
Our Horticulture Supervisor Apprenticeship is ideal for those whose employer plans to promote them up to a supervisory/management position or for those already in such a role who would benefit from formal training.
- industry understanding
- customer care
- health and safety for supervisors
- environmental protection
- plant growth and development
- supervise use of tools, equipment and machinery
- vegetation control
- plant identification and classification for supervisors
- soils and growing media for supervisors
- plant health and biosecurity
- protection of biodiversity and heritage
- assess, repair and maintain hard structures
- tree safety for supervisors
- supervise plant propagation
- ornamental aquatic environments
- maintaining ornamental areas
- use and maintain irrigation equipment
- construct and establish sports and amenity areas
The apprenticeship includes, level 2 functional skills in English and Maths (where relevant) and the following
certificates of competence, emergency first aid at work and level 2 award in the safe use of pesticides (PA1) and level 2 award in the safe application of pedestrian hand held equipment (PA6A).
At the end of the course apprentices sit an end-point assessment which includes:
- observation of practical skills
- showcase of learner journal
- employer appraisals
- supervisory studies project
- knowledge test.
All end-point assessments to be externally assessed.
You will need to:
- have successfully completed the horticulture operative apprenticeship
- be at least 16 on entry
- have proven abilities in English and Maths which are equivalent to GCSE grade 4 and above (C and above)
- be employed within the horticulture industry, working on average at least 30 hours per week under a contract of employment
- be acting in a supervisory capacity or have the opportunity to do so while on the programme.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to confidently continue working at a supervisory capacity in the industry.
Last updated: 18 Sept 2019