Duration: 24 months
Available at: Crystal Palace, Enfield, Gunnersbury Park and Regent’s Park
Attendance: College one day a week combined with training, experience and assessment in the workplace
The aim of our Horticulture Operative Apprenticeship is to give you an opportunity to gain confidence, learn, develop and practice the skills necessary for employment / career progression in the industry.
- health and safety
- industry understanding
- plant identification and nomenclature
- plant growth
- plant health
- use and maintain non-powered and hand held powered equipment
- use and maintain pedestrian controlled powered equipment
- environment protection
- vegetation control
- soil science and cultivation
- communication skills
- business skills
- plant establishment and maintenance
- establish and maintain amenity areas
- ornamental turf
The apprenticeship includes, level 1 and level 2 functional skills in English and Maths (where relevant) and the following certificates of competence, emergency first aid at work and level 2 award in the safe use of pesticides (PA1).
At the end of the course apprentices sit an end-point assessment which includes:
- observation of practical skills
- showcase of learner journal
- employer appraisals
- knowledge test.
All end-point assessments to be externally assessed.
You will need to:
- be at least 16 on entry
- have proven abilities in English and Maths which are equivalent to GCSE
grade 2 and above (E and above)
- be employed within the horticulture industry, working on average at least 30 hours per week under a contract of employment.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to the Horticulture Supervisor Apprenticeship, Advanced Technical Diploma in Horticulture (Level 3) or continued employment in the horticulture industry.
Last updated: 9 Oct 2018