Unless stated otherwise, students aged 16-18 are exempt from tuition and registration fees.
Download a full-time or part-time application form.
If you have any questions about our courses, please contact our Admissions team.Enquire about this course
Duration: 1 year full-time
Available at: Brooks Farm, Crystal Palace, Enfield and Gunnersbury Park
This foundation course will give you a great practical introduction to gardening and landscaping and will provide you with an understanding of the type of work and career opportunities that are available in the industry.
- maintaining gardens throughout the different seasons
- plant identification – trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals
- using a range of tools and machinery
- establishing and maintaining lawns
- training in use of mowers
- building and maintaining garden structures
- work experience with employers
- first aid
- health and safety
- employability skills.
A great deal of this course will be carried out in a practical environment with some classroom-based study. You will be assessed throughout the programme and given independent study projects to complete.
You will need at least one of the following:
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- enthusiasm for working outdoors
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
Successful completion of this course will:
- enable you to progress to our Gardening and Commercial Landscaping Diploma (Level 2), Technical Horticulture and Professional Landscaping (Level 2), a Horticulture Operative Apprenticeship or a Sports Turf Operative Apprenticeship
- help you gain employment in the gardening and landscaping industry at an entry-level, career opportunities include: landscape maintenance, retail horticulture in garden centres or working in parks, gardens or sports turf.
Visit the Grow Careers website at www.horticulture.org.uk/grow-careers for more career options and ideas.
Last updated: 13 October 2018