Unless stated otherwise, students aged 16-18 are exempt from tuition and registration fees.
Download a full-time or part-time application form.
If you have any questions about our courses, please contact our Admissions team.Enquire about this course
Duration: 1 year full-time
Available at: Crystal Palace
This program has been designed for you if you are looking to develop your employability and personal skills while getting a valuable hands-on introduction into the world of horticulture and outdoor work skills. You will work on practical gardening and landscaping projects in historic parks and gardens with local
employers and community groups as well as building up a tool kit of strategies to help you succeed in life.
- weekly work experience in green spaces;
parks and gardens
- landscaping and maintenance skills
- growing fruit and vegetables
- identifying plants for different purposes
- planting and caring for plants
- customer care
- developing personal confidence
- budgeting and money management
- teamwork skills and communication at work.
Most of this course will be carried out in a practical environment but you will also be able to continue developing your English and Maths skills. You will create a portfolio of your achievements throughout the year and this will form the basis of your assessment.
You will need at least one of the following:
- an enthusiasm for outdoor practical work
- an interest in growing plants
- an aspiration to improve your life skills and employment prospects
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
Successful completion of this course will:
- enable progression to one of our Level 2 gardening and landscaping courses or other land-based courses / apprenticeships
- help you gain employment in garden retail, landscaping, gardening, sports grounds maintenance or other land-based industry.