Sports turf management is an expanding and exciting international industry that covers a wide range of sports played on grass and other types of surfaces.
You will gain experience of the construction and maintenance of all sports surfaces and the range of tools and equipment that is used to maintain them.
You will gain valuable practical experience during your studies, by working in 30 acres of gardens at our Enfield Campus and attending study tours at a range of high quality venues including Wimbledon, The Oval, Twickenham, Wembley, Sunningdale, Tottenham Hotspur F.C and many others where you will be given master classes from the Head Groundsman/Greenkeeper.
The course has an end-point assessment and includes functional skills in English and Maths at Levels 1 and 2 (where relevant).
You will learn
- Sports pitch maintenance including aeration, topdressing, irrigation and line marking
- Environmental legislation
- Health and safety regulations
- Risk assessments
- Grass identification and nomenclature
- Pest and disease identification
You will need to:
- Be at least 16 on entry
- Have proven abilities in English and Maths which are equivalent to GCSE grade 2 and above (E and above)
- Be employed within the horticulture industry, working on average at least 30 hours per week under a contract of employment
Successful completion of this course should enable you to confidently continue working in the industry.