This course will give you a strong foundation in a wide range of techniques required for a career in professional gardening and supports career development for those already in the industry.
This practical-based course forms part of the RHS Level 2 Diploma in the Principles and Practices of Horticulture. You need to be willing to undertake a predominantly practical course with practical and written assessments including intensive plant identification tests.
Due to high demand, places on this course are currently unavailable. We are working towards increasing our capacity as soon as possible. Please check back later for further updates.
You will learn
- Soil testing pH and texture
- Sowing seed and vegetative propagation techniques
- Practical skills in ground preparation for seeding and planting
- Practical skills in establishing seeds and plants in soil
- How to care and prune for plants
- How to identify pests, diseases, disorders and beneficial organisms
- The safe operation of powered garden machinery
You will need the following:
- A minimum level of general GCSE attainment including English at grade 4 and above (C and above)
- An interest in plants and gardening
You may be asked to attend an interview to discuss your interests, experience and ambitions so that we can help you study on the right course.
Successful completion of this course should support career development for those already working in professional horticulture, help prepare you to embark on a career in professional horticulture, or allow you to progress to Level 3 RHS or garden design qualifications.
If you complete all three RHS Level 2 Certificates you will receive the RHS Level 2 Diploma in the Principles and Practices of Horticulture.