This foundation course will give you a great practical introduction to gardening and landscaping, and will provide you with an understanding of the type of work and career opportunities that are available in the industry.
You will also gain key employability skills and undertake work experience with employers.
You will learn
- The maintenance of gardens throughout the different seasons
- Plant identification – trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals
- How to use a range of tools and machinery
- How to establish and maintain lawns
- Use of mowers
- The building and maintenance of garden structures
- First aid
- Health and safety
You will need at least one of the following:
- Relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- Enthusiasm for working outdoors
- You will be encouraged to attend our Summer School
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to our Gardening and Commercial Landscaping Diploma (Level 2), Technical Certificate in Horticulture and Professional Landscaping (Level 2) or a Horticulture Operative Apprenticeship. You can also gain employment in the gardening and landscaping industry at entry-level. Career opportunities include, landscape maintenance, retail horticulture in garden centres, or roles working in parks and gardens.