Our Horticulture Supervisor Apprenticeship is ideal if your employer plans to promote you up to a supervisory/management position or if you’re already in such a role and feel that you would benefit from formal training.
The apprenticeship includes, Level 2 functional skills in English and Maths (where relevant) and the following certificates of competence: Emergency First Aid at Work, the Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides (PA1) and the Level 2 Award in the Safe Application of Pedestrian Hand-held Equipment (PA6A).
You will attend college one day per week combined with training, experience and assessment in the workplace. At the end of the course you will sit an end-point assessment which includes observation of practical skills, a showcase of your learner journal, employer appraisals, a supervisory studies project and a knowledge test.
You will learn
- More about the industry
- How to communicate effectively
- Customer care
- How to supervise others
- Healthy and safety for supervisors
- How to protect the environment
- How to monitor plant growth and development
- How to supervise the use of tools, equipment and machinery
- How to control vegetation
- Plant identification and classification for supervisors
- More about soils and growing media for supervisors
- Plant health and biosecurity
- How to protect biodiversity and heritage
- How to assess, repair and maintain hard structures
- Tree safety for supervisors
- How to supervise plant propagation
- How to care for ornamental aquatic environments
- How to maintain ornamental areas
- The use and maintenance of irrigation equipment
You will need at least one of the following:
- Successful completion of the Horticulture Operative Apprenticeship
- Be at least 16 on entry
- Proven abilities in English and Maths which are equivalent to GCSE grade 4 and above (C and above)
- Be employed within the horticulture industry, working on average at least 30 hours per week under a contract of employment
- Be acting in a supervisory capacity or have the opportunity to do so while on the programme
Successful completion of this course will enable you to confidently continue working at a supervisory capacity in the industry.