The aim of our Horticulture Operative Apprenticeship is to give you an opportunity to gain confidence, learn, develop and practice the skills necessary for employment or career progression in the industry.
The apprenticeship includes, Level 1 and Level 2 functional skills in English and Maths (where relevant) and the following certificates of competence: Emergency First Aid at Work and the Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides (PA1).
You will attend college one day per week combined with training, experience and assessment in the workplace. At the end of the course you will sit an end-point assessment which includes observation of practical skills, a showcase of your learner journal, employer appraisals and a knowledge test.
You will learn
- Health and safety
- More about the industry
- More about plant identification and nomenclature
- How to monitor plant growth
- How to check plant health
- How to use and maintain non-powered and hand-held powered equipment
- How to use and maintain pedestrian-controlled powered equipment
- How to protect the environment
- Vegetation control
- Soil science and cultivation
- Communication skills
- Business skills
- Plant establishment and maintenance
- How to establish and maintain amenity areas
- How to care for ornamental turf
- Plant behaviours
Apprenticeship Standard : Horticulture or Landscape Operative
Be at least 16 on entry
Have proven abilities in English and Maths which are equivalent to GCSE
grade 2 and above (E and above)
Be employed within the horticulture industry, working on average at least 30 hours per week under a contract of employment
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to the Horticulture Supervisor Apprenticeship, Advanced Technical Diploma in Horticulture (Level 3) or continued employment in the horticulture industry.