This course will help you to develop your landscape construction, design and horticultural skills preparing you for a career in landscape design and construction.
You will be taught through an interesting variety of workshops, classroom and studio sessions, practicals, and masterclasses with industry professionals and leading industry product suppliers. You will also benefit from visits to inspirational designed landscapes to help broaden your creative horizons.
While studying with us, you will have access to our design studios, equipment and beautiful campus grounds. You will get the opportunity to design a range of gardens and construct a variety of outdoor features for green landscapes. Please note that you will be expected to complete a range of assignments within set timeframes outside your weekly classes.
You will learn
- How to produce planting plans and garden designs
- How to design and plan a show garden/contemporary garden
- How to carry out a site survey
- The techniques required to plan, construct and lay hard surfaces and paving
- How to construct a vertical boundary
- Ground preparation for planting and construction
- How to maintain a planted area and plant different forms of plants
- Plant identification
- At least four GCSEs at grade 3 and above (D and above)
- Be able to explain your interest in working in landscape design
Before you start your course, if you are aged between 16 and 18 years, you will be required to attend a fun and practical two-day preparation workshop where you will meet your teachers and other students on your course.
Days of attendance
You will be expected to study on the following days of the week:
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
Following successful completion of this course, you can continue your studies with us and further your knowledge with our Advanced Certificate in Landscape Construction (Level 3), one of our Level 3 garden design courses, Advanced Technical Diploma in Horticulture (Level 3), one of our Level 3 horticulture apprenticeships. You will also be able to enter the industry and start your career.