This course is designed to provide you with a strong foundation of industry skills along with the knowledge, skills and confidence required for a responsible management position in arboriculture and forestry.
Industry placements form part of all Level 3 vocational full-time courses at Capel Manor College. Each industry placement is at least 315 hours long, providing you with invaluable industry experience as part of your studies. You will be invited to make contact with employers, relevant to your studies, who could host your placement.
You will also need to complete a synoptic exam and two external exam papers, along with three projects.
You will learn
- Professional working responsibilities
- Plant and soil science
- Work experience in the land-based sectors
- Identification, planting and care of trees
- Tree and shrub pruning and maintenance
- Tree felling activities
- Machinery operations
- Aerial arboriculture skills
- Trees in urban environments
- Woodland project
You will need at least one of the following:
- At least four GCSEs at grade 4 and above (A* to C) including a science-related subject
- An overall Distinction in an Arboriculture (Tree Surgery) and Forestry Diploma (Level 2) or equivalent
- Relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- Independent study skills are needed to be successful at this level
- You will be encouraged to attend our Summer School
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to higher education or obtain employment within the industry in a broad range of job roles to include, woodland management, an arborist, a tree officer or tree surgeon.