You will gain the practical skills and knowledge that are important for working as a professional dog groomer.
Independent study skills are needed to be successful at this level. You will undertake a 15 day work placement in the dog grooming industry, and there is the expectation that you will also attend an industry placement in a grooming parlour, one day per week throughout your course.
You will learn
- Health and safety, legislation and codes of practice for the dog grooming industry
- Canine first aid
- Canine anatomy and physiology
- Styling and finishing techniques
- Planning, styling and trimming
- Trimming methods for different coat types
- Health checks, handling and restraining dogs
- Canine behaviour
- Customer liaison and record keeping
You will need the following:
- A Distinction grade on the Dog Grooming Assistant Certificate (Level 2)
- FS Level 2/GCSE grade 4 in Maths and English, or evidence of working at this level
On successful completion of this course you will be classified as a fully-qualified dog groomer, and you can start your own business or work for a business/franchise in a salon or a mobile unit. You could also progress to further learning and training in this area to develop your skills.