This course aims to develop individuals into animal industry professionals by exploring the management of zoological collections, wildlife conservation and farms. This in turn allows you to explore and acquire a range of expertise and progress into a wide range of roles both nationally and internationally.
Vocational relevance, professional standards and transferable skills for employability are central to this degree. The programme will empower you to further develop your practical hands-on animal management skills through access to over 75 species of animals in our very own zoo ‘Capel’s Creatures’. Additionally, you will develop academic research skills and core knowledge required to work in zoos, animal rehabilitation reserves, aquaria and animal collections or related animal industries.
As part of your studies, you will be actively encouraged to participate in numerous trips within the animal industry. These will enable you to see behind the scenes of different zoos and animal collections and understand how the theory taught is applied in the real word. You can also take part in our annual conservation trip; previous students have worked on projects in South Africa and Peru.
You will learn
- Animal evolution
- Primatology and advanced animal enrichment
- Advanced animal behaviour
- Carnivore management
- Ecotourism and game ranging
- Sustainability of animal collections
- Data handling, research and statistics
- Develop a dissertation
Applicants should confirm their ability to study on the BSc Top-Up by presenting evidence of:
- A foundation degree or a HND award (Merit) in a subject related to the BSc Top-Up
- Depending on previous studies, you may be required to complete additional ‘bridging’ studies prior to enrolling on the course in order to cover identified gaps in previous learning
Successful completion of this BSc Top-Up provides a clear route if you are seeking employment within the zoological and animal collections industry both nationally and internationally, as well as animal management and conservation related industries. Additionally, you can further your education by undertaking a master’s degree or a PhD in a related discipline.