This course has been designed to give you the strong grounding required for a rewarding and professional career in the animal industry.
Whilst having a solid practical basis in animal husbandry, the course also explores applied animal science and career opportunities in the industry.
You will also undertake an animal care work placement to further your learning and understanding.
You will learn
- Practical animal health skills
- The factors impacting animal welfare
- Animal biology and health
- Animal feeding
- Animal behaviour
- Safe handling and restraint techniques
- Accommodation design and maintenance
You will need the following:
• At least four GCSEs at grade 3 and above (D and above) including Maths, English or Science and/or a Level 1 Diploma in Animal Care or Land-Based Studies at a Pass
Before you start your course, if you are aged between 16 and 18 years, you will be required to attend a fun and practical two-day preparation workshop where you will meet your tutors and other students on your course. Further details will be provided at the point of an offer being made.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to our Level 3 courses in animal management and agriculture (subject to entry requirements), an apprenticeship or employment as an animal care assistant within the animal industry (for example, a kennel, cattery, animal charity or wildlife trust).