This course has been designed to give you the strong grounding required for a rewarding and professional career in the animal industry.
Whilst having a solid practical basis in animal husbandry, the course also explores applied animal science and career opportunities in the industry.
You will also undertake an animal care work placement to further your learning and understanding.
You will learn
- Practical animal health skills
- The factors impacting animal welfare
- Animal biology and health
- Animal feeding
- Animal behaviour
- Safe handling and restraint techniques
- Accommodation design and maintenance
You will need at least one of the following:
- At least four GCSEs at grade 3 and above (D and above) including Maths, English and Science
- Overall Distinction in an Introduction to Animal Care (Level 1) or equivalent
- Relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- You will be encouraged to attend our Summer School
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to our Level 3 courses in animal management and agriculture (subject to entry requirements), an apprenticeship or employment as an animal care assistant within the animal industry (for example, a kennel, cattery, animal charity or wildlife trust).