This course will be focused on organic farming and food production.
You will learn about the different sectors of organic farming and how they interact, gaining hands-on experience with our livestock (cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry) as well as vegetable farming. You will gain insights into the Soil Association standards and how to be certified, and learn about marketing directly from the farm to optimise earnings. By the end of the course, you will produce a plan to develop your own organic farm.
You will learn
- Safety and effective working practices within the land-based sector
- Machinery operations
- Soil association and biodynamics
- Farming and land use in the UK
- Sustainable livestock farming
- How to keep organic cattle
- How to keep organic sheep
- How to keep organic pigs and poultry
- Vegetable growing (rotations, poly tunnels, all year-round production or specialisation)
- How to harvest and market vegetables
- Farm economics, production costs and subsidies (ELMS)
- How to model and assess your own farm
- At least two GCSEs or equivalent
- Relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- Enthusiasm for working outdoors
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to the Agriculture (Farming) Intermediate Diploma (Level 2).