This course will be focused on organic farming and food production.
You will learn about the different sectors of organic farming and how they interact, gaining hands-on experience with our livestock (cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry) as well as vegetable farming. You will gain insights into the Soil Association standards and how to be certified, and learn about marketing directly from the farm to optimise earnings. By the end of the course, you will produce a plan to develop your own organic farm.
You will learn
- Safety and effective working practices within the land-based sector
- Machinery operations
- Insights into soil association and biodynamicsHow farming and land use work in the UK
- Sustainable livestock farming
- How to keep organic cattle
- How to keep organic sheep
- How to keep organic pigs and poultry
- Vegetable growing (rotations, polytunnels, all year-round production or specialisation)
- How to harvest and market vegetablesAn insight into farm economics, production costs and subsidies (ELMS)
- How to market your farm
- How to model and assess your own farm
Award in Land-based Studies – City & Guilds of London Institute
You must be aged 19 and over to apply for this course. At least two GCSEs or equivalent.
Relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered. Enthusiasm for working outdoors.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to the Agriculture (Farming) Intermediate Diploma (Level 2).