This course will provide you with an insight into organic farming across all sectors including livestock, vegetables, crop planning and marketing your products. Whilst studying you will gain practical knowledge, skills and the tools required to set up your own organic farming business.
If you are thinking about starting your career in organic farming, or you are looking to change careers and enter the world of sustainable growing and regenerative agriculture, then this course will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need.
You will be taught on-site at our own certified Organic farm, Forty Hall Farm, which is both Soil Association accredited and a Rare Breed Survival Trust Educational Facility. This hands-on course will allow you to work with a variety of livestock (cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry), and a market garden producing more than 200 vegetable boxes a week.
You will learn
- How to produce food organically and using sustainable methods
- How to market products including farm sales and organic local food hubs
- Professional working responsibilities
- Work experience within the organic sector
- Machinery operations
- How to apply agricultural farming practice to organic standards
- At least four GCSEs at grade 4 and above (A* to C) including a science-related subject
- An overall Distinction in a Level 2 agriculture course or equivalent
- Relevant prior learning or experience gained in a professional environment will be considered
- Independent study skills are needed to be successful at this level
National Skills Fund
This course is eligible for the National Skills Fund. Any adult aged 19 and over, who does not already have a level 3 qualification (equivalent to an advanced technical certificate or diploma, or A levels) or higher, can access hundreds of fully-funded level 3 courses.
To find out more visit: https://www.capel.ac.uk/fees-and-funding/
Days of attendance
You will be expected to study on the following days of the week:
- Monday and Thursday
This course will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to be able to start up your own organic farm. You will be able to certify your land and grow your own produce successfully. On completion of this course you will also have the ability to progress onto a national diploma top-up course to gain a broader understanding of agriculture.