Our brand new Sports Turf Academy offers the first apprenticeship designed exclusively for grounds staff. Be among the first to benefit from this ideal preparation for a career that could take you into the heart of elite sports, working for employers such as Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.
The apprenticeship includes:
- Establishing seed and turf
- Maintaining course and fine turf
- Identifying and controlling pests and diseases
- Soil science, growing mediums, cultivation and more
There will be revision sessions and mock theory tests at the end of each term, to ready you for end point assessment.
Evidence of skills
Apprentices produce a portfolio to evidence the practical skills they have learned through work. During their time on programme, apprentices will be required to keep a journal. This will be reviewed at regular intervals throughout the delivery of the course, as well as at workplace reviews and in class.
Apprentices will be asked to attend employer appraisals with their work based assessor and supervisor.
Certificates of Competence
There are options for apprentices to attain the following professional qualifications:
- Level 2 emergency first aid at work
- Level 2 award in the safe use of pesticides
End Point Assessment
After 15 months it is anticipated that all apprentices will commence their end point assessment including:
- Observation of their practical skills
- A showcase (portfolio) with verbal questions
Online knowledge tests
All end point assessments are externally delivered.