Unless stated otherwise, students aged 16-18 are exempt from tuition and registration fees.
Download a full-time or part-time application form.
If you have any questions about our courses, please contact our Admissions team.Enquire about this course
Duration: 1 year full-time
Available at: Brooks Farm, Crystal Palace, Enfield, Gunnersbury Park
If you have any questions about this course, please call us on 0303 003 1234 or email Elaine Watson.
This course has been designed to give you the strong grounding required for a rewarding and professional career in the animal industry.
Whilst having a solid practical basis in animal husbandry, the course also explores applied animal science and career opportunities in the industry.
- learn how to maintain animal health
- develop an understanding of factors impacting animal welfare
- develop a range of practical animal skills including; animal feeding, accommodation design and maintenance, safe handling and restraint techniques
- gain an understanding of the principles of animal biology
- study animal behaviour
- complete 150 hours of work experience.
You will need at least one of the following:
- at least four GCSEs at grade 3 and above (D and above) including Maths, English and Science
- overall Distinction in an Introduction to Animal Care (Level 1) or equivalent
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to our Level 3 courses in animal management and agriculture subject to entry requirements, an apprenticeship or employment as an animal care assistant within the animal industry (for example, a kennel, cattery, animal charity or wildlife trust).
Last updated: 20 Oct 2018