Unless stated otherwise, students aged 16-18 are exempt from tuition and registration fees.
Download a full-time or part-time application form.
If you have any questions about our courses, please contact our Admissions team.Enquire about this course
|Interview Required||Start Date||End Date||Day||Start Time||End Time||Duration||Exam Fee||Materials Fee||19+ Tuition Fee||24+ Tuition Fee|
|Yes||11/09/2017||06/07/2018||Mon - Fri||09:00||16:00||1 year||£140.00||£1,800.00||£1,800.00|
Duration: 1 year full-time
Available at: Brooks Farm, Crystal Palace, Enfield and Gunnersbury Park
This course has been designed to give you the strong grounding required for a rewarding and professional career in the animal industry.
Whilst having a solid practical basis in animal husbandry, the course also explores applied animal science and career opportunities in the industry. You will:
- learn how to maintain animal health and welfare
- develop a range of practical animal skills including; animal feeding, accommodation design and maintenance, safe handling and restraint techniques
- develop an understanding of the basic principles of animal biology
- study animal behaviour
- gain an introduction to caring for farm livestock
- learn more about the specific requirements of exotic pets
- complete 150 hours of work experience.
You will need at least one of the following:
- at least 4 GCSEs at grades D or above including a science-related subject
- overall Distinction in an Introduction to Animal Care (Level 1) or equivalent
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
You will be asked to attend an interview to explore your interests, experience and ambitions and complete a screening test so that we can help you study. References are also considered.
We want all of our students to maximise their personal development and prospects for employment or further study. While on your course you will continue to build skills relevant to work and study on our Skills Development programmes, which may include English, maths or computer skills.
What next after your course?
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to an Animal Management Advanced Diploma (Level 3 courses), an Advanced Apprenticeship in Animal Care (Level 3) or employment at an assistant-level in the animal management industry.
Last updated: 03 June 2017